These Vegan Hot Cross Buns are a perfect Easter treat. I normally make them a couple of days before Easter and another batch for Easter Sunday Breakfast.
You can serve them toasted with butter and jam!
Vegan Hot Cross Buns
- 635 g flour I use spelt plain flour
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast or 17 g fresh yeast
- 110 g xylitol
- 375 ml lukewarm plant-based milk
- 2 tsp Allspice mix
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 50 g dried fruit I used raisins
- 80 ml oil
To make the cross:
- 80 ml water
- 70 g plain flour
- 2 tbsp marmalade or jam
- Place the yeast, milk and xylitol in a bowl, mix all the ingredients gently together, put it aside for 5 minutes and cover with a clean cloth.
- Add the flour, Allspice mix, cinnamon, oil, dried fruit and mix until a sticky dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 8 – 10 minutes or until elastic. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover the bowl with cling film or damp clean cloth and let the dough rise in a warm place until it has doubled in size - approx. 1 hour
- Divide the dough into twelve even portions and roll them into balls. Place them on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment, leaving a gap of about 1-1.5cm between each one and flattening them very slightly with your hand. Cover with cling film or damp cloth and set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes or until risen. Preheat oven to 200°C
- To make the cross-place the flour and water into a bowl and stir to combine. Place the mixture in a piping bag and pipe a cross on the buns. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden.
- Take them out of the oven and glaze with marmalade or jam while hot. Enjoy!
Tag @vegulicious on Instagram and hashtag it #vegulicious