Erbazzone is a savory vegetable pie from the Reggio-Emilia Province of Italy. One of the most popular versions of this dish is with cheese, ham and spinach. I decided to make a vegan version with wild garlic and it turned out delicious! I’ve made it with spinach as well which worked well, so if you don’t have wild garlic you can use spinach and just remember to add 2 or 3 cloves of chopped garlic with it. Remember that cooked spinach produces more liquid than wild garlic so make sure to squeeze out any liquid before putting it on the dough.
Hope you enjoy making this very easy dish!
Vegan Erbazzone with Wild Garlic
- ceramic dish 16cm x 25cm
- 200 g wheat flour or white spelt flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 120 g water
- 400 g wild garlic chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tbsp yeast flakes
- salt to taste
- oil for frying
Make the dough:
- In a bowl combine the flour and salt together, add olive oil and half the water and knead it all together. Add the rest of the water bit by bit constantly mixing with your hand. Now you can transfer the dough onto a clean, floured work surface and knead until smooth and elastic, it may take you between 6 to 8 minutes. If the dough sticks to your finger, add a bit more flour and knead until combined. When you finish kneading the dough put it aside.
Make the filling:
- Fry finely chopped onions until golden (about 4 minutes), then add the chopped wild garlic and fry until soft, make sure the excess water evaporates. Add the yeast flakes and salt to taste.Transfer the filling into a bowl and let it cool down, I usually put it out on the balcony for a few minutes so it cools down quickly.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Divide the dough into two.Roll out the dough on a floured workspace as thinly as possible (about 2mm)and spread the dough onto oiled ceramic dish (you can either oil the dish or put parchment paper)
- When the filling has cooled, squeeze out any remaining liquid and then put it on top of the dough. Spread it out evenly, making sure to leave a bit of an edge.
- Roll out the second layer of dough to 2mm thickness. Place it gently on the top of the wild garlic filling and crimp the edges together. Prick the top of the dough with a fork.
- Bake in preheated oven until crust is lightly golden, about 35 - 45 minutes.
- Let it cool down before serving.
Tag @vegulicious on Instagram and hashtag it #vegulicious