I have been always a great fan of these pink stalks! As a child I used to eat the stalks straight from the garden, now I prefer making rhubarb crumble and jam!
Here is my recipe that I’ve been making for years – it’s gluten-free, vegan and so easy to make. Enjoy!
- ovenproof dish 17cm x 21cm
- 250 g rhubarb
- 200 g apples or 3 medium apples
- 200 g frozen raspberries
- 3 tbsp xylitol you can also use honey, maple syrup or agave syrup
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp water
- 150 g oats
- 3 tbsp shredded coconut
- 5 tbsp almond flour
- 5 tbsp xylitol you can also use honey, maple syrup or agave syrup
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds you can use pumpkin seeds instead
- 4 tbsp coconut oil melted
- Preheat oven to 170°C
To Stew Fruits Base:
- Core the apples and cut them into 3cm chunks.
- Chop the leaves off the rhubarb and cut the stalks into 3 cm pieces.
- Put the apples, rhubarb and frozen raspberries into a medium-sized pot, add spices, xylitol and water. Cover and simmer on low heat, stirring occasionally for 15-20 mins. When the rhubarb and apples are soft (but still holding their shape) pour them into an ovenproof dish and spread them evenly.
To Make Crumble Topping:
- Melt the coconut oil over a low heat.
- In a bowl combine: oats, shredded coconut, almond flour, xylitol, sunflower seeds and melted coconut oil. Stir until well combined.
- Spoon the crumble over the fruit base. Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes.
Tag @vegulicious on Instagram and hashtag it #vegulicious