The best hummus is thick and creamy, it tastes best with carrot sticks or toaster pita bread! It’s so easy to make, but just remember to soak the dry chickpeas in water overnight. I always use dry chickpeas, I find them to have much more natural flavour, but if you prefer to use tins of chickpeas, thats absolutely fine, for this recipe use 2 tins x 400g.
- 250 g dry chickpeas OR 2 tins ( 2 x 400g)
- 4 - 5 cloves of garlic
- 50 ml lemon juice juice of 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp light tahini
- ⅛ tsp ground cumin
- ⅛ tsp smoked paprika
- 8-10 tbsp water
- salt and pepper to taste
- Soak the dry chickpeas in water overnight.
- After approximately 8 - 10 hours place the chickpeas in a medium saucepan and bring it to boil over high heat. Reduce the heat if necessary to prevent overflow, and cook it for about 20 minutes - until their skins are falling off. Drain the chickpeas and set aside so it can cool down
- When the chickpeas cool down place them into a food processor, peel and add the garlic, lemon juice, tahini, spices, and water and blend it until it reaches the desired texture (thick and creamy).
- Taste and add more spices, lemon juice or tahini if necessary.
- It stays fresh in the fridge for a couple of days, enjoy!
Tag @vegulicious on Instagram and hashtag it #vegulicious