Fermented Carrot Sticks
- 1-litre clean jar
- 6 carrots cut into sticks (peel the carrots if they are not organic, otherwise, just wash them well)
- 2 garlic cloves smashed
- A bunch of fresh dills I love adding dill to different dishes, but if you are not a huge fan of dill just add 1 tbs of chopped fresh dill
- 1 litre 2% brine solution
- Put smashed garlic and fresh dill into a clean 1-litre jar. You can also add any other flavourings you like, for example, fresh thyme and rosemary, lemon and ginger (instead of garlic).
- Put the carrots in jar vertically as tight as possible, so they don’t float to the top.
- Fill the jar to within 2.5cm of the top of the jar. Make sure that the carrots are covered with liquid at all times during the fermentation.
- Screw on the lid tightly and shake gently to mix.
- Leave the jar to sit at room temperature for a couple of days, try the carrots after 3 – 4 days if that is your desired texture and flavour, you can leave it on the kitchen counter to fermentate for longer but if that is your desired texture and flavour store it in the fridge for up to 6 months once opened. Enjoy!
- After 24 hours from making the carrot sticks, you will notice that the water looks cloudy, it’s perfectly normal; you can open the jar to ‘burp it’ and close tightly again.
Tag @vegulicious on Instagram and hashtag it #vegulicious