Fat Thursday, the last Thursday before Ash Wednesday and the beginning of Lent, is one of the most important days in the calendar! You basically can eat as many donuts or chruściki (AKA Angel Wings) as you can!
This is a healthier, vegan version of Chruściki.
Chruściki (AKA Angel Wings)
- 1 cup spelt wholemeal flour - if you don't have spelt wholemeal flour you can use plain flour
- ⅕ cup oil
- ½ cup soy milk
- 20 ml apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp powdered xylitol icing sugar
- 700 ml oil for frying
- 4 tbsp powdered xylitol icing sugar for dusting
- Combine the flour with oil and mix very well.
- Add 1 tbsp powdered xylitol icing sugar and apple cider vinegar, knead a dough.
- Slowly add the plant-based milk. You will know that the dough is ready when it is smooth and elastic. If it's too dry add one tablespoon of plant-based milk, but if it's too wet just add a little bit of flour.
- Transfer the dough ball into a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap, place in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Roll out the dough into a large circle until paper-thin. Using a knife slice the dough into 8cm x 5cm strips. Make a small slit in one end of the dough, then pass the other end of the strip through the opening to create a knot. Set the raw dough aside.
- In a medium-size pot heat the vegetable oil to approx 180°C
- Fry 4 - 5 chruściki at a time for 1 minute or less per side or until golden. Drain on paper towels.
- Dust with powdered xylitol icing sugar.
Tag @vegulicious on Instagram and hashtag it #vegulicious