Cabbage Soup for St. Patrick’s Day
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 carrots chopped
- 3 potatoes chopped
- 1 leek sliced
- ¼ celery root (celeriac) chopped
- 1 parsleys chopped
- 200g shredded cabbage
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 2 litres water
- pinch of salt and pepper to taste
- soy sauce to taste
- chilli flakes to taste
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- In a medium-size pot heat up the coconut oil or water.
- Peel and finely chop the onions and fry it in the pot for a couple of minutes until soft.
- Add the garlic and gry for a minute.
- Peel and finely chop the carrots, potatoes, leek, celery root (celeriac) and parsnip. Put all the vegetables into the pot, add a little bit of water and steam undercover on medium heat stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes or until soft, if the vegetables start to stick to the bottom of the pot add more water and bring the heat down.
- Chop the cabbage and add to the pot.
- Add the frozen peas.
- Boil water and make 1L vegetable stock.
- Add the vegetable stock to the pot and stir; add 2L boiling water and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes undercover stirring occasionally to avoid the vegetables sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- When the soup is ready add salt, pepper, soy sauce and chilli flakes to taste.
- Serve the soup in a bowl with nigella spice, Enjoy!
Tag @vegulicious on Instagram and hashtag it #vegulicious